Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Add Publishing Navigation in a Team Site

I had the need for a team site, but instead of the standard quick launch, I wanted more of a publishing like navigation setup.  So I did the following:

1)  Create a new Site Template.  For reference I used:

http://www.toddbaginski.com/blog/archive/2009/11/02/how-to-create-a-custom-site-definition-in-sharepoint-2010.aspx.aspx

I copied the STS site template onet.xml file, and then created a new template in my webtemp_custom.xml file.

2)  Next add the Navigation Feature under WebFeatures in your onet.xml file:

        <!-- NavigationProperties Feature-->
        <Feature ID="541F5F57-C847-4e16-B59A-B31E90E6F9EA">
          <Properties xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/">
            <Property Key="InheritGlobalNavigation" Value="true"/>
            <Property Key="ShowSiblings" Value="true"/>
            <Property Key="IncludeSubSites" Value="true"/>
          </Properties>
        </Feature> 

When you create a new site, you'll see that you have Navigation link in your Site Settings that you can now configure, just like a Publishing Site!

No comments: